Saturday, June 22, 2013

130622 Tim & mirror beveling


Greetings once again from the lab,
 I decided to try the beveling of the 8" down here at the lab. So that I didn't do a fancy "insert" of text in the pictures, I am including some notes you can follow for each slide. In the first image, note the soft stone I am using to soften the edge of the tool. Since we will use this at the upcoming event with the public, I wanted to soften the edge to rid ourselves of the chance of chipping the edge of our Pyrex. Second you can see this edge on the tool. On the third image, I wanted you to see the "rounded" edge of the mirror our donator has originally created. 

Now, I am not opposed to the idea of a rounded edge at all. In fact I'd like to discuss this a bit more in our workshop. There is strength to this round edge. When grinding the mirror, a hard edge will appear on the upper edge of the bevel or rounded edge. The lower  part of a rounded edge seems to me to be impervious to any chipping. Am I wrong on this? The fourth image shows me starting to cut a bevel on the edge. I am using a coarse diamond disc, that is actually quite flexible. I try to hold the handpiece at a 45° angle. With a 16" mirror this may be a bit more difficult. I can kind of move the mirror under the handpiece a bit with these smaller mirrors. Keeping this 45° is a little more difficult moving just the handpiece over the mirror, but do-able. The next picture shows the whole work top. I wanted to mention something Jerry told me that is important. When grinding these, it is advisable to use a wet grinding. For this, you can see the little dish of water behind. I can either wet the surface of the mirror, wet the diamond disc itself or both. In the old days, we had an attachment they made for dentistry to utilize compressed air and a water canister to draw the water up a small hose to the nosepiece of the handpiece. Today, they are more using this arrangement with high speeds. For this, I don't think it is a good tool. These turn at about 250,000 rpm and are for less "planing" stroke and more for spot grinding and facial contouring. I also think the incidence of chipping is increased, especially with pressure. I do want to add, you can see I have a hose in this picture.
It is a vacuum I use for grinding. Before I got this, I found myself coughing as i ground my porcelain crowns. As time passed over the years I realized I was actually working towards silicosis. With this vacuum right next to the work, it literally eliminates the danger. A wet grinding set up together with this vacuum would be better. Just get the sunlight to shine into the lab late in the afternoon and see what we are working in. the dust is silhouetted in the light. I am actually wondering why I have lasted all these years!The last two photos show our finished edge. In the first you can see it actually allows a fairly consistent bevel around the mirror. In the second I wanted to show you that small chips were noticeable to me. Look in the area that is most in focus and you will see them. I think this is within tolerance and acceptable.
 Hope you all enjoy this. I do not think anyone is using this exact technique out there. Maybe the Newport Glass Works do, but it may be a bigger machine doing the work. Next door to us is a glass company. I intend to talk to the owner a bit on this. I have used a tool they have in back of their shop to soften the edges of cut glass. Joe, it is a rather large wet belt sander on a stand. Kind of cool actually (literally). It has a place to rest the glass, but I wouldn't think holding a 16" against it would be as accurate as what I am doing. This is better.
 PS- Tom T. or Dmitrii,feel free to use this any way you wish.
 Tim the Tinkerer
see the photos attached to this email here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/27241501@N03/sets/72157634222053744/

No comments:

Post a Comment